|photo from Joe Shlabotnik, flickr.com|
What is it?
- The event is a collaboration between the Mill River Park folks and Sakura Matsuri, which is the Japan Society of Fairfield County.
- It's not clear to me how far along the project is today, but the plan for the park includes cherry tree walks with over 100 cherry trees.
What events will there be?
- A karate demonstration from 11:30 to 11:50.
- A shamisen performance from 12:00 to 12:20. Shamisen is sort of a three-stringed guitar. You can see it in action in a crazy duel here.
- A Samurai Sword Soul Dance from 12:30-12:50. I don't know what that is, but it sounds like it kicks ass.
- A Taiko Masala drum performance from 1:45 to 2:10. See an example here.
- A kendo demonstration from 2:30-2:50. Kendo is martial arts + swords. What could go wrong?
Throughout the day, you can check out:
- Japanese sake tasting
- Magna & Anime on display
- A tea ceremony
- Kimono dressing
- Origami workshop
- Sumie (Japanese brush painting) workshop
- Dr. Robot demonstration (I have no idea what that is...but I'm dying to learn)
- Water yo-yo (ditto)
When is it?
- The event is on May 5th from 11-3pm
Where is it?
- You can join the party at Mill River Park by entering on Washington Boulevard across from Columbus Park